Adapted from Rick Warren
Top 10 Reasons to Tithe
Throughout the Bible we are taught to give. There are three kinds of giving identified in the Bible: tithes, offerings and alms. Alms are for the poor, offerings are for specific needs (missions, building programs) and the tithe is giving ten percent of our salary to the church. The tithe is the foundation of giving. We give it first, then we give offerings and alms. Here are ten reasons why we should tithe faithfully.
10. Tithe because you do not want to be a thief. God says people rob Him when they withhold tithes and offerings. (Malachi 3:8-9)
9. Tithe to safeguard your treasure. You are investing where it is totally secure. “Don’t store up treasures on earth! Moths and rust can destroy them, and thieves can break in and steal them.” (Matthew 6:19)
8. Tithe because you want to reap from what you sow. “A few seeds make a small harvest, but a lot of seeds make a big harvest.” (2 Corinthians 9:6)
7. Tithe because you desire God’s blessings. God blesses the nine-tenths of your salary. He promises to pour out a blessing there would not be room enough to receive. This is not always in financial returns, but in ways that only you realize.
6. Tithe because lost souls need the gospel. People will be reached and saved as God’s people bring the tithe into the storehouse (the church).
5. Tithe because your church needs it. The church does great work and needs your support. “Bring the entire ten percent into the storehouse, so there will be food in my house.” (Malachi 3:8)
4. Tithe because tithing brings you joy. The knowledge of doing God’s will brings peace of mind and joy to your heart. “God loves a cheerful giver” (II Corinthians 9:7)
3. Tithe because it is God’s plan of finance for His kingdom. “Ten percent of everything you harvest is holy and belongs to me, whether it grows in your fields or on your fruit trees.” (Leviticus 27:30) It not only is holy, it belongs wholly to Him.
2. Tithe because of what God has done for you. He gave His only Son, He saved your soul and He blesses you with possessions. He said, “Prove me” (Malachi 3:10) and He has proved faithful.
1. Tithe because you love God. You recognize Him as the Eternal One who created the universe and is the only One who knows what is best for you.